Monday, November 14, 2016

1363 Miles - Melbourne to Sydney - 6 AirBnBs+1

So, when I last blogged -- I had just made my way through my first three nights on The Great Ocean Road after leaving my cousin's place in Basalt, Australia.

Today (Monday, November 14) I arrived in Sydney -- having driven a coastal route with these stops (click here for Google map) over the past 7 nights/8 days - putting 1,368 miles (more correctly 2,203 kilometers) on a rental car - cost $180 USD plus gas and a $48 USD ferry toll (the crossing is just below Melbourne - it was spectacular).  And I stayed at 6 different AirBnB places plus one unusual/special place I'll describe below (ranging from $35 to $87, with average cost $54 a night - all USD values).

I don't have the energy tonight to describe the entire trip, the scenic stops, and the wonderful AirBnB hosts/places along the way -- but let's just say it all fun, beautiful and interesting.  Allow me a few random observations:

- traveling here is EASY.  This is not adventure travel -- this is like traveling in America but where I'm the one with an out-of-place accent and the turn signal is on the wrong side of the steering wheel! Much of the terrain looks very much like the USA -- at least where there is plenty of rain (it's spring here and the mountains are a luscious green). And speaking of rain, I got almost none of it during my journey -- few clouds now and again, but generally picture perfect days.

- Australia has many, beautiful National Parks.  I've always thought highly of the advocates and politicians that set aside 58 National Parks in the USA.  Australia has over 500 (I didn't try to figure out the State Park numbers).  Anyway, my journey took me through several.

- I've now done AirBnB stays on three continents (USA, China and here).  I think all my reviews (and all but one were exceptional) are public -- as are the reviews of me -- but again, a summary would be I stayed in great places and met interesting people.  All the "hosts" had positive things to say about their experiences.

- Of course, everyone has talked about the USA election - and I was comfortably at one AirBnB (by myself as it happened, as the guy had to work) watching it all unfold on flat screen.  However, I've decided to leave this blog a politics-free zone!  Though, as I wrote previously, it's been intensely interesting to watch the news and commentary from Australian news sources.

Now, the one night that wasn't at an AirBnB was superbly special and unique.  The AirBnB hosts I stayed with during my first 3 nights in Melbourne, upon learning my route and that I was still working on arranging one stop, suggested his own sister's/brother-in-law's home with a "granny" flat that he was encouraging them to turn into an AirBnB.  It was perfectly positioned where I needed a place and so it was arranged through email.  Perhaps because of the unique way it was set up -- and perhaps because they are not yet seasoned AirBnB hosts -- they greeted me and treated me as family -- including introducing me to the guy's parents (nearby), giving a tour of their garden, taking me along to feed their pet lamb, and fixing a delicious lamb roast feast, sharing beers and educating me on their own (and the country's) passion with Cricket.  I left feeling like I'm related.

Anyway, I took way too many photos of the entire trip -- and maybe one night I'll take the time to create and link a few.  But for now, you'll just have to take my word for it -- the little piece of Australia I've gotten to see on this journey is beautiful.

I'm staying here in Sydney for 3 nights before flying back to the USA on Thursday, November 17.



No comments:

Post a Comment